06/06/2017 0 Comments
What Really Causes Crooked Teeth?
It seems like more and more children are struggling these days with crooked, crowded, and overlapping teeth. Upper and lower adult teeth often emerge out of place and misaligned.
Even though the condition is not uncommon, you may be curious about the cause. Lots of research has been completed on the topic and the results are still not entirely conclusive. Each patient has unique contributing factors, but the reasons outlined below provide a good indication of the leading causes of crooked teeth.
Here are some of the top causes of crooked teeth:
- Diet: A lot of research has focused on the impact of diet and food sourcing on the formation and function of the jaw. Studies comparing the habits of hunter-gatherers and farmers have been conducted, as well as research efforts focused on the effects of soft and processed foods. Multiple theories exist, but all seem to agree that food plays an important role in dental development. Processed, less nutritionally-dense foods leads to less broad and therefore smaller jaws in young people. The result? Less space for adult teeth to occupy and a crowded, crooked smile.
- Genetics: It has been discovered that genetics do not play the central role we once thought they did when it comes to tooth alignment. While shape, development, and enamel strength can all get passed down between the generations, alignment is a more tricky and layered factor. Look to your parents’ smiles for clues, but don’t rest the blame for braces on their shoulders!
- Damage: Even if you do not grow up with crooked teeth, they can shift throughout your lifetime. Missing teeth can lead to shifting placement of teeth and a crooked smile if left untreated. Bone deterioration and realignment of teeth will occur, leading to a weakened jaw and out-of-place teeth that can require orthodontic treatment or cosmetic dentistry in Hamilton. Get any dental damage repaired and tooth replacement completed as soon as possible in order to limit the effects and repercussions of missing teeth.
Wondering why so much attention has been paid to developing methods for straightening teeth? Consider the following advantages of a straight smile and contact the team at Eastgate Dental Centre for dentistry in Stoney Creek, Hamilton, Grimsby, Ancaster, Waterdown, and surrounding areas.
Straight teeth are:
- Easier to clean
- Aligned for a correct bite
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Easier to provide targeted treatment
- More stable and healthy with even placement along the jaw
- Less sensitive due to simpler treatment options
Schedule Your Teeth Cleaning in Hamilton at Eastgate Dental Centre
Ready to correct your smile or interested in teeth cleaning for your children’s developing teeth? Book your appointment with the dentists at Eastgate Dental in Hamilton. We provide cosmetic dentistry and personalized dental services to ensure your teeth are beautiful, healthy, and strong.
From orthodontics to cosmetic dentistry, the experienced team at Eastgate Dental Centre is here to offer patients a healthy, straight smile. Whether you are a parent of children with adult teeth that are coming into place or have been self-conscious about your own misaligned teeth for many years, our team can provide oral surgery, braces, and other dental treatments to find a solution. Visit us to learn more and schedule your teeth cleaning today.
Enjoy a healthy, straight smile with help from your Hamilton dentist. Call 905-560-2714 to book your appointment or fill out our online form to find out more.